Side dishes don't need to be difficult to be beautiful. These Roasted Root Vegetables with Deconstructed Pesto bring color, elegance, and flavor to the table without being a pain in the kitchen.
Rainbow Carrots and Radishes
We picked up some rainbow baby carrots and baby radishes at the farmer's market but you can also easily use what you find at the store. If you can't find rainbow carrots, a bag of regular orange carrots will work fine as well.
Start by cleaning up the vegetables and cutting the radishes in half so they are around the same thickness as the carrots. This will make sure we get an even roast. Also, leave some of the greenery attached, they will roast up nicely.
Break out a fresh sponge and give those carrots a scrub. It will clean them up nicely and will keep more of the product than if you peel them. Just make sure to use a new sponge, a "clean" one from the sink won't cut it.
Arrange the cleaned root vegetables evenly on a roasting pan. We used a silpat on the pan as well to insure the vegetables won't stick while roasting. Pour some olive oil over them and season with salt and pepper. Lastly give them a spray with an olive oil or neutral oil spray to make sure they are all covered nicely with oil, this will make sure we get nice caramelization.
Add the tray to a preheated 450°F oven and roast for 15-20 minutes until nicely caramelized. While the vegetables are roasting we can get our deconstructed pesto going.
for the pesto
For our deconstructed pesto we used:
- olive oil
- fresh thyme
- fresh dill
- fresh sage
- fresh chives
- fresh marjoram
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- Parmesan Reggiano
If you can't find all of the fresh herbs feel free to make adjustments with dried or leave the ones you can't find out. Also, feel free to make any adjustments to your preferred flavor profile.
Rough chop the herbs and cover them with the olive oil in a bowl. You won't need all of the herb mixture for the pesto so save the rest and use it on some eggs in the morning. It will last in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Toast the pumpkin seeds on a 400°F oven until fragrant (about 3-5 minutes) and then give them a rough chop. Grate up some Parmesan Reggiano and now we have all our ingredients prepped for the deconstructed pesto. By now, our root vegetables should be about done.
With the roasted vegetables out of the oven we can move them over to our serving dish and build the pesto over the top.
Plate it up
Spoon some of the herbed olive oil over the roasted root vegetables and then sprinkle some of the toasted pumpkin seeds and grated parmesan to finish!
Watch how to make the recipe!
If you want a step by step tutorial give our video a watch, and make sure to Subscribe to our Youtube channel as well!Print
Roasted Root Vegetables
- 1 pound baby carrots, cleaned and washed
- ½ pound baby radishes, cleaned and washed
- olive oil
- olive oil or neutral oil spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- ½ tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 4 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan Reggiano, grated
Roasted Root Vegetables
- Clean the vegetables with a fresh sponge and rinse.
- Depending on the size of your radishes, cut them in half so they're closer in thickness to the carrots. This way they will roast at the same rate.
- Arrange the vegetables on a sheet pan, we placed a silpat on the pan as well to insure they don't stick.
- Pour the olive oil over the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Now use the olive oil spray to give the vegetables an even coating of oil to insure nice caramelization.
- Place in a preheated 450°F oven for 15-20 minutes until caramelized.
- Finish with Deconstructed Pesto.
- Rough chop all of the herbs and place in a bowl with 4-8 ounces of extra virgin olive oil. You won't use all of the herb mixture for this recipe but you can use the leftovers for another dish. Try it scrambled eggs!
- Toast pumpkin seeds in a 400°F oven until fragrant (3-5 minutes) then give them a rough chop.
- Grate your parmesan.
- Pour some of the herbed oil on the roasted root vegetables after they are out of the oven, then some sprinkle the chopped pumpkin seeds and grated parmesan.
The left over herbed oil will last in the fridge for another 3 days, try it on some eggs!
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 0.2 g
- Sodium: 45.9 mg
- Fat: 29.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.5 g
- Protein: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 1.8 mg