This lively salad is fresh, crisp, and filled with Summer produce at it's peak ripeness. Juicy heirloom tomatoes, sweet peaches, and hydrating cucumbers topped with a aromatic vinaigrette. You're going to love this Summer Salad with Thai Chili Vinaigrette.
This salad is literally summer on a plate. Serve it up for lunch to deliciously cool down on a hot day. Better yet, serve it along side our Habanero Jerk Shrimp.
Why You'll Love this Summer Salad
Ready in less than 30 minutes: This salad comes together fast. No waiting for flavors to marinate or sit. We're chopping some produce, making a vinaigrette, and ready to eat.
Easily converts to main course: Simply add some protein and this fresh salad becomes more than a starter. We suggest grilled shrimp.
The bulk of the salad is comprised of large pieces of cucumber, peaches, and heirloom tomatoes topped with a beautiful Thai Sweet Chili Vinaigrette.
For the Thai Chili Vinaigrette
For the Thai Sweet Chili Vinaigrette you just need a few simple ingredients including:
- Thai sweet chili sauce
- rice wine vinegar
- canola oil
Lastly, the salad is topped with some chopped almonds to add a nice little crunch.
check the recipe card for amounts and step by step walkthrough.
How to make this Summer Salad with Thai Chili Vinaigrette
Step 1: Start by prepping the produce. Cut the cucumbers in half and then cut into chunks at an angle. For the tomatoes and peaches cut them into wedges. We're looking to create larger pieces like shown below. Place them in a large salad bowl and move on to the vinaigrette.
Step 2: In a small mixing bowl combine the Thai sweet chili sauce, lime zest and juice, rice wine vinegar, canola oil, and minced garlic and ginger. To help emulsify the vinaigrette, whisk as you slowly add in the canola oil.
Chef Tip: Use a microplane. It comes in very handy for zesting limes and mincing the ginger and garlic.
This is what we're looking for consistency wise after everything emulsifies.
Step 3: Pour the vinaigrette into the salad bowl with the peaches, tomatoes, and cucumber, reserving a little of the vinaigrette for later.
Step 4: Add chopped cilantro to the reserved dressing and give a quick mix to coat the cilantro. Now you can add nice spoonfuls of saucy cilantro over the salad for presentation and pops of flavor.
Lastly add some chopped almonds for a nice added crunch.
Tools for this Recipe
Here are some kitchen tools that we used to make this salad:
- Chef Knife
- Microplane: very handy for zesting the lime and mincing the ginger and garlic.
- Mixing Bowls: large and small for preparing the vinaigrette and a larger bowl for preparing the salad.
- Cutting Board
- Whisk: This makes emulsifying the vinaigrette simple. Just keep that whisk moving as you slowly pour in the oil.
Tips and Variations
- For a further depth of flavor to the vinaigrette consider replacing the salt with fish sauce.
- A splash of soy sauce instead of salt gives a slightly different flavor profile to the vinaigrette.
- For a spicier kick, reduce the thai sweet chili sauce by half and add in Sriracha as a replacement.
- Make this salad the main course by adding grilled shrimp or chicken.
How to Store this Summer Salad with Thai Chili Vinaigrette
This Summer Salad is best enjoyed immediately. The longer it sits, the more the produce will break down and lose it's crunch. It's also best to add the dressing right before serving. It can be stored for up to a day after serving in the refrigerator.
- I don't like almonds: No problem, cashews make a perfect replacement.
- If you can't find ripe peaches, nectarines make a great replacement.
This lively salad is fresh, crisp, and filled with Summer produce at it's peak ripeness. Juicy heirloom tomatoes, sweet peaches, and hydrating cucumbers topped with a aromatic vinaigrette.
For the Salad
- 2 cucumbers, halved, chopped
- 2 ripe heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 ripe peaches, pitted and cut into wedges
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup toasted almonds, chopped (cashews also work great)
For the Vinaigrette
- ½ cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Start by preparing your fruit and vegetables. Halve the cucumbers and then give them a chop at an angle. Cut the tomatoes and peaches into wedges, make sure to remove the peach pit. Place in a large salad or mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the Thai sweet chili sauce, lime juice and zest, rice wine vinegar, canola oil, minced garlic and ginger. Using a microplane comes in handy for the lime zest, ginger, and garlic. (you can also slowly add canola oil while whisking to make sure you get the perfect emulsion.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the Salad
- Add the Thai chili vinaigrette to the salad bowl (make sure to reserve a few tablespoons of vinaigrette) and gently toss, making sure to fully coat the fruit and vegetables.
- Transfer Salad to serving dish.
- Add chopped cilantro to the reserved vinaigrette and give a quick mix. Lightly spoon over the cilantro mix for both presentation and flavor.
- Chop up some almonds and add to the top of the salad for a nice nutty crunch.
- Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5