Donuts are probably one of our favorite baked products ever, and the only thing better than picking up a fresh dozen is making them from scratch in your own kitchen. These easy Lemon Thyme Glazed Donuts don't disappoint. Crisp outer texture with fluffy cake on the inside. Home made lemon glaze with notes of fresh thyme. Make some time on a Saturday or Sunday to give these a try.
These aren't all necessary but they'll definitely make your life easier.
There's a couple ways you could go here, we're going to be using the "muffin method". What does that mean? Well, we're simply going to mix all of the dry ingredients in one bowl, mix all the wet ingredients in another, and then slowly incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry to bring our dough together.
Start by sifting the cake flour and AP flour into a mixing bowl. Combining these two flours give the donuts a even fluffier texture. With that said, if you only half AP flour they will still turn out great.
Once sifted, mix in the baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Now on to the wet ingredients.
For the wet ingredients start by whisking 2 eggs and then add the buttermilk. Now I know we just discussed mixing dry and wet ingredients separately for the muffin method but there's always room for variation. In this case our variation is adding the nutmeg into the wet ingredients. Lastly add in the vanilla paste (extract also works) and melted butter.
Okay, your wet and dry ingredients are all mixed separately and ready to go. Now pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl and mix. The dough is going to come together pretty quickly and once it does, stop mixing. We don't want to over mix the dough.
For the Lemon Thyme Glaze
Start by bringing the turbinado sugar, water, and lemon juice to a simmer and stir to dissolve the mixture together. Once dissolved and combined take it off the heat and add the thyme leaves. Allow the thyme to steep in the syrup for about 10 minutes to infuse its flavor. After it's done steeping, strain the syrup into a bowl to remove the thyme leaves.
Now sift powdered sugar into the syrup and whisk to combine, you now have your Lemon Thyme Glaze. Time to dip some donuts.
Watch the step by step video on how to make Lemon Thyme Glazed Donuts here!:Print
Quick and easy donuts done in the same amount of time it would take you to go to your local donut shop.
- 280g all purpose flour
- 180g cake flour
- 4g baking soda
- 10g baking powder
- 5g salt
- 200g sugar
- 5g nutmeg
- 2 eggs, whole
- 30g butter, melted
- 10g vanilla extract (or 5g vanilla paste)
- 225g buttermilk
Lemon Thyme Glaze
- 50g turbinado sugar
- 45ml water
- 15ml lemon juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 2g fresh thyme leaves, plus extra 2g for garnish
- 200g powdered sugar
- 1g salt
For the Donuts:
- In a large bowl, sift the flours, then add the sugar, salt, nutmeg, baking powder and baking soda with a spoon until combined.
- Add the melted butter, buttermilk, and eggs and whisk until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry until combined
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop the doughnut batter into the hot oil, in batches if needed. Cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown, carefully turning to brown all sides.
- Remove with tongs and drain on sheet tray with a rack
- Let cool before adding glaze.
For the Glaze:
- In a small pot, combine the turbinado sugar with the water and lemon juice. Bring mixture to a simmer and stir to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and add thyme to infuse into the syrup for 10 minutes.
- Strain syrup into a bowl. Discard thyme leaves
- Sift the powdered sugar and salt into the syrup and gently whisk to combine.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25