It can't get more simple and delicious than bread and butter, but that's never stopped us before. This recipe is all about upgrading our breakfast toast game, for when you want something a little extra. We're making a breakfast toast with bourbon blueberries and roasted peaches. Creamy ricotta cheese and bunch of fresh fixings.
Bourbon Blueberry Sauce
For our blueberry jam sauce we need:
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
- pinch of salt
Start by adding fresh blueberries to a hot pan, you don't need any oil in the pan. Let them cook for about a minute and then pour about a ¼ cup of bourbon into the pan and hear that sizzle!
After the alcohol cooks out add in the sugar and vanilla, mix it in and let it cook for about 5 minutes. The liquid from the blueberries will start to release and sugar will help thicken it up.
Lastly, add in the lemon juice, zest, and salt (whenever you're making something sweet you still want to add a little bit of salt). From this point we just want to let it reduce until we reach sauce consistency. It will also continue to thicken as it cools. Now on to the peaches!
For the Roasted Peaches
In a mixing bowl pour the sugar on top of freshly sliced peaches. The sugar will help the peaches caramelize under the broiler. Also add a little oil (we used canola) and balsamic vinegar. Mix it all together before adding the peaches to a baking rack.
Using a rack on top of our baking sheet allows for more airflow to surround the peaches resulting in more even cooking. Set it under your oven's broiler and cook until you see some caramelization start to form.
a tip for toast
Yea I know, it's toast and it isn't complicated. But here's a tip that will work for more than two slices at a time so you can have 10 pieces done at once if you needed to.
Spread some oil on to the front and back of each slice of bread. In this case we're going back to our trusty baking sheet with a rack and cooking under the broiler. Give the bread a flip a toast the other side as well. This would also works well in a cast iron pan or a barbecue. The oil just insures we get a nice even toast on each side.
Now let's put it all together.
Plating it up
We have our toast, we have our peaches, we have our bourbon blueberry sauce. Now we assemble!
Spread some ricotta on each slice and then top half of the toast with bourbon blueberry jam, and the other with some of the roasted peaches. Add a little mint to the blueberry toasts and they're good to go, but let's take the peach toasts a little further.
For the roasted peach toasts we're also going to drizzle some honey, praline pecans, and fresh mint.
The great thing about this recipe is that whether you're making this for 2 people or 10 plus people it basically takes the same amount of time. If we need more blueberry sauce we can just get a bigger pot and add more blueberries, put more peaches on the rack, and toast up some more slices.
Need a step by step for how to make this breakfast toast with bourbon blueberries and roasted peaches?
Blueberry Jam Sauce
- 2 cups blueberries
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- pinch of salt
- 2 peaches, wedged
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- t tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 8 slices bread (we used multi-grain sourdough)
- extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup candied pecans, crushed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- fresh mint for garnish
Blueberry Jam Sauce
- In a hot sauté pan, add blueberries and cook for one minute. Add bourbon and let the alcohol cook out.
- Next add sugar and vanilla, and cook for 5 minutes. Then add lemon juice with the zest and a pinch of salt. Cook until sauce consistency. When it cools it will get a little thicker.
- In a mixing bowl, toss together the wedged peaches, sugar, canola oil, and balsamic vinegar.
- Put on a sheet pan with a rack, make sure to spread them out for even cooking.
- In a high heat broiler, place rack in and cook until caramelized.
For the toast
- Brush oil on sliced bread and toast using broiler, grill, or cast-iron pan.
- To put the toast together, spread the ricotta cheese and add toppings as you see fit.
- For the peach toast, place the peaches on the ricotta then add the honey and sprinkle with candied pecans.
- Garnish both toasts with mint.